Monday, August 29, 2011

The Best of the VMAs Fashion 2011?

In the words of Adam Levine, "the VMA's. one day a year when MTV pretends to still care about music. I'm drawing a line in the sand. fuck you VMA's." hey he said it not me, and that's exactly what I did. I watched the 9/11 Interview with George Bush on National Geographic and another 9/11 documentary special. But I knew that when I came to the world of the Internet I would be bombarded with VMAs highlights and of course the fashion or...I wouldn't really call it fashion, but there were clothes that worn, but calling it fashion....I was going to intentionally not do a blog until my sister convinced me otherwise.

I don't really nowhere to start. Out of the pictures I've seen I don't like any there are 2 okays 1 alright, and the rest...if I stay professional and critique on those 3 it will be a short blog. But if I talk to you the way I always do like the girl that I am gabbing about my favorites and fashion and what's cool and not on who it will be long. So far the paragraph above and the one I'm writing is me trying to make this blog long. So while I'm listening to MJ's music on his birthday I will try to keep it cool and be nice since my last two blogs before the Aaliyah one were continuous rants. Okay here we go.


So the world apparently, stopped turning and all praised that of Beyonce being pregnant. I will say I'm shocked because I never thought I would live to see that day...well I take that back, not until the next 5 years because after all her album is still brand new, she's promoting, an apparent tour would be underway but with a baby on the way, it looks like an upcoming tour will be out of the question. But then again this is Beyonce we're talking about who performed after falling down a flight of stairs onstage. So this is the 1st "ok" look although, I'm all in favor of Beyonce wearing more clothing it's obvious she's glowing and happy. And I'm not pulling a Khloe and saying she should "show" off her pregnancy by dressing skimpy, and wearing tight clothing, but I do wish that this Lanvin dress was a bit more tapered around the waist. This dress is very 70s. I don't know if B was going for that look, with the 1950s Veronica Lake wave bang but it's nice, a good change for her whose always showing legs, plunging neckline, and tight clothing, that she normally wears. And the performance getup was cute, very Broadway, but let's hope she keeps with this demure but glam look.

Rebecca Black is a 14-year-old singer, who sings a song called "Friday"....14? This? Ummm.....okay so I will give her this, she dressed a lot better than the other young stars. Demi Lavato (19) Miley Cyrus (20) and Selena Gomez (19). 10 years ago people got on Britney for dressing "skimpy, sexy, and vampy". Unlike, the 3 aforementioned starlets, her dressing up until 21 wasn't inappropriate save for a few revealing photoshoots (Rolling Stone 99) and performances (VMAs 01) but mainly all she did was show her belly and wear lowrider jeans. She had didn't show her legs that much, wearing a lot of pants and wore a lot of crop tops, sometimes, tube tops, hardly anything extremely short. So my point is, these starlets are growing up too fast. But like I said this look is a lot better than Demi, Miley, and Selena who are still heavily associated with Disney and whose shows are in constant repeat on the channel. And isn't Selena still making shows? If this outfit was worn on either of them, kudos. The only thing I would change to make it appropriate for someone who wasn't 13 too long ago, I would lengthen the shorts by at least 3 inches, so it's about an inch 1 or 2inches above her knee.


And here is the 1 "alright". I'm not a huge fan of Katy's music, but I do like the songs I've been hearing from her and one of these days when I get around to it, I'll probably buy her CD, I do like her style, it's very colorful, happy, quirky, a little wacky, but very Katy. That said, I think she can get away with anything, but...I just don't know what to say. It's okay. Normally, when I see her in an outfit I like it. I think the "record" dress with the "record" fascinator is adorable, it totally fits, her hair color is cute by the way. I've seen pictures of her trying different colors over the past few weeks and I'm glad she got it right. It just works. For the second look...okay I blame Kate Middleton for this one. Apparently, it's a "fascinator" and who could forget that horrible thing on Princess Beatrice when she wore an octopus/toilet/it-looks-like-a-kid-made-it fascinator to the wedding? Had it not been for Princess Kate and her lovely wedding bringing out the fascinators in not just England but apparently everyone we wouldn't see a block on Katy's head. The outfit itself is mismatched, the skirt makes her look dumpy, the top makes her look frumpy, the only thing working besides her hair are those fabulous shoes! I'm just confused. The third look, very 1940s Hawaiian girl look. I'm not a fan of the fabric. But seeing it from a distance, it works. The 4th and final look. WAY too matronly, if the neckline wasn't up to her chin it would've been okay. The lace didn't help the belt, I don't understand. The neckline would've made a difference. Had it not been for the neckline it would've been okay. So 2/4 isn't bad, which puts hers in the "alright" category.

So that's it. That's all I can say. For me to relive what I saw an hour ago on the "fashion" of the VMAs would be a complete utter nightmare. And I really don't feel like talking about how horrible it was and a obvious one who shall not be named. I will say for this one entertainer, if you can call her that, or maybe she entertains you with her getups. Dressing intentionally like...I don't even know what to say. It's okay to get inspiration from previous or current singers, but make it your own you know? So Gaga came dressed up like she was straight out of "Grease" okay that's cool, but for another person who shall be nameless dress like your peer...apparently, someone told her this was a competition and to out shock, and outdress like your peer, Gaga. Even "rivals" that the media tried to make them; Mariah/Whitney, Madonna/Janet, Britney/Christina didn't dress alike and do everything their peer did, they were who they were. I feel that dressing like this is to show that she doesn't have much talent and relying heavily on her getups is sad. It's cool to have a gimmick, like Bettie Page had with S&M, but really? Now EVERYONE knows you're trying too hard. Trust me, I read the comments and they all say the same thing. What's wrong with being yourself? If she's not copying Lil Kim or Cher, she's copying Gaga, I mean really? At least, Cher and Kim are older then her. So sad. Talent ain't what it used to be. That's my 5cents I hope it was long enough.

1 comment: